Ads 468x60px

Monday, November 19, 2012

Whether To Bring Your Child To The ER (Or Not)...

Most moms will for sure hate to be taking their little ones to the ER, particularly if it's that crowded and only to end up nothing is really serious!
Here are the following helpful tips that might help moms out there save a trip to the ER when their kids get into trouble:

If your child swallowed something that might be poisonous:

Go to the ER if: He swallowed a large amount (sch as bottle of vitamins or container of detergent!

Otherwise: - Call the poison control at 800-222-1222 and save the number. They will ask you what and how much he ingested, his weight, age, height, etc...and then tell you whether you should go to the ER or just monitor him for any side effects.

If your child cuts herself:

Go to the ER if: - She's losing a lot of blood and it's spurting out or gushing heavily and doesn't show any signs of slowing, or she's starting to lose consciousness.

Otherwise: Apply pressure for 10 minutes. If the blood still doesn't stop and the wound looks deep, cal your doctor. She'll tell you whether to go straight to her office, to the plastic surgeon or go to the ER.

If your child has a fever:

Go to the ER if: - He has a fever of 105F or higher and is extremely agitated, listless, cranky or inconsolable. For babies who are 2 months old, you should take her to the ER if she has fever of 100.4F or higher.

Otherwise: Give him/her Tylenol or Motrin (ask doc how much) and apply a cool compress. If fever hasn't gone down after 30 minutes, call the doctor and or go to the ER.

If your child bumped her head so hard/got hit in the head:

Go to the ER if: - She fainted, is vomiting, has a bad headache, has arm/leg weakness, isn't acting like herself or  didn't cry at all (which means she lost consciousness briefly.

Otherwise: Give her infant Tylenol or Motrin, apply an ice pack and call the pediatrician. If you notice any symptoms of vision problems, dizziness, the next 24 hours, call the doctor back.

If your child has hurt his arm or leg and it may be broken:

Go to the ER if: - a bone is protruding through the skin or the pain is excruciating.

Otherwise: Give him children's Motrin or Tylenol and apply ice on affected area and call the doctor for a possible referral. If you're not sure if it's broken, wait 24-48 hours to see if it improves.

If your child got burned:

Go to the ER if: - a large portion of skin is burned or if large burns are on her hands, face or groin area.

Otherwise: Run small burns under cold water, apply ice and give her Tylenol or Motrin, then cover area with antibiotic ointment and a bandage. If it starts to blister badly, call your doctor.